Certification Criteria for Business Areas
- Bicycle-Friendly Business Areas (BFBA) must submit the registration for the designation through a Business Improvement Area, Chamber of Commerce or similar association.
- At least five (5) applicable businesses participating and certified as bicycle friendly locations, including one of each category – accommodations, food services, attractions. Note: A certified bicycle-friendly accommodation business located no further than a 3km distance away for proposed business area.
- Ample bike parking available within proposed business area.
- Allocation of (at least) one storefront location designated and clearly promoted as a Bike Welcome Centre, equipped with a bike repair station (see example) and up to date local cycling information and maps.
- Cycling infrastructure and/or signed route in and out of proposed business area.
- Dedicated webpage indicating the BFBA designation, listing certified bicycle-friendly business locations
- Participating locations display Ontario By Bike Network Decal in visible locations.
- BFBA must be located within a region supporting the Ontario By Bike Network.
- Bicycle-Friendly Business Area champion(s) to outreach and promote Ontario By Bike Network to member businesses through distribution of the Business Outreach Kit.
- When hosting community events, additional bike parking or bike valet service is made available. Cycling promoted as an option to get to and from local events.
- Assistance with Ontario By Bike Network evaluation, including an annual Business Perception Survey of both participating and non-participating businesses.
- All association staff informed of participation in the Ontario By Bike Network, the Bicycle-Friendly Business Area designation and above services and amenities
Suggested Additional Services
- Establishment of leadership team (BIA staff, business owners, community members, etc) to meet periodically to evaluate efforts and share lessons learned.
- Bike Welcome Centre equipped with First aid kit and readily available.
- Access to public washrooms (where possible), rest area (preferably covered) and water (either from a water fountain or by purchase from a concession stand)
- Promotion of bike parking locations.
- Provision of larger bike parking options, including bike corrals.
- Creation and promotion of discount programs for cyclists.
- Bike share station or bike rental location within proposed business area.
- Customer deliveries made by bike where possible.
- Shared bikes available for business operators and staff to sign out for local area deliveries and errands.
- Installation of signs showing bicycle-friendly status and welcoming cyclists to Bicycle-Friendly Business Area
- Creation of an integrated marketing campaign that highlights the Bicycle- Friendly Business Area designation and participation in the Ontario By Bike Network.
- Upon receipt of designation, promote participation with media release and outreach to media outlets working to maximize public relation opportunities. Bike-themed launch event may be considered.
- Where applicable participation in other complementary programs promoting cycling, safety, health and education, as well as programs that promote cycling activities for residents. (E.g. Share the Road, CAN Bike, etc).
- Working with municipality to promote and provide improved bicycle infrastructure and parking.