Certification Criteria for Business Areas
- Bicycle-Friendly Business Areas (BFBA) must submit the registration for the designation through a Business Improvement Area, Chamber of Commerce or similar association.
- At least five (5) applicable businesses participating and certified as bicycle friendly locations within the business area, including one in each of the categories – food services and attractions. The additional three participating businesses may be from any category.
- A certified bicycle-friendly accommodation located within a reasonable cycling distance away from the proposed business area (10km or less). If the certified accommodation is located within 3km of the business area, it can count towards the five participating businesses required for business area certification.
- Ample bike parking available within proposed business area.
- Allocation of (at least) one storefront location designated and clearly promoted as a Bike Welcome Centre, equipped with a bike repair station (see example) and up to date local cycling information and maps.
- Cycling infrastructure and/or signed route in and out of proposed business area.
- Dedicated webpage indicating the BFBA designation, listing certified bicycle-friendly business locations
- Participating locations display Ontario By Bike Network Decal in visible locations.
- BFBA must be located within a region supporting the Ontario By Bike Network.
- Bicycle-Friendly Business Area champion(s) to outreach and promote Ontario By Bike Network to member businesses through distribution of the Business Outreach Kit.
- When hosting community events, additional bike parking or bike valet service is made available. Cycling promoted as an option to get to and from local events.
- Assistance with Ontario By Bike Network evaluation, including an annual Business Perception Survey of both participating and non-participating businesses.
- All association staff informed of participation in the Ontario By Bike Network, the Bicycle-Friendly Business Area designation and above services and amenities.
Suggested Additional Services
- Establishment of leadership team (BIA staff, business owners, community members, etc) to meet periodically to evaluate efforts and share lessons learned.
- Bike Welcome Centre equipped with First aid kit and readily available.
- Access to public washrooms (where possible), rest area (preferably covered) and water (either from a water fountain or by purchase from a concession stand)
- Promotion of bike parking locations.
- Provision of larger bike parking options, including bike corrals.
- Creation and promotion of discount programs for cyclists.
- Bike share station or bike rental location within proposed business area.
- Customer deliveries made by bike where possible.
- Shared bikes available for business operators and staff to sign out for local area deliveries and errands.
- Installation of signs showing bicycle-friendly status and welcoming cyclists to Bicycle-Friendly Business Area
- Creation of an integrated marketing campaign that highlights the Bicycle- Friendly Business Area designation and participation in the Ontario By Bike Network.
- Upon receipt of designation, promote participation with media release and outreach to media outlets working to maximize public relation opportunities. Bike-themed launch event may be considered.
- Where applicable participation in other complementary programs promoting cycling, safety, health and education, as well as programs that promote cycling activities for residents. (E.g. Share the Road, CAN Bike, etc).
- Working with municipality to promote and provide improved bicycle infrastructure and parking.